"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood ... Make big plans; aim high in hope and work."  
—Daniel Burnham, Chicago architect. (1864-1912)

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Highlights from my summer coverage of Chicago's 2016 Olympic Bid

The game is over, at least for Chicago, and my grant is over. I'll keep this blog up as a legacy to the work I did this summer, sharing South Side community stories and trying to give a unique perspective on both the city's fight for the 2016 Olympic Games and its internal struggle over how the Games would impact local infrastructure, taxpayers, and the gamut of public services from education to health care.

If you're visiting this blog for the first time and would like a sampling of what I wrote about this summer, here are links to several stories of which I am particularly proud:


Behind the bid: Ald. Manny Flores rethinks rallying-cry, “No free check!”
(August 21, 2009)


Burnham Plan Centennial invites comparisons to 2016 Olympic Bid
(August 14, 2009)


As bid for the 2016 Olympics heats up, Chicagoans find a natural refuge in Washington Park
(August 6, 2009)

Turnout is low among Washington Park residents at latest Olympics planning meeting (Saturday, July 25, 2009)

Olympics bring inspiration, challenges, to Washington Park Consortium (Sunday, June 28, 2009)


Thanks for reading! For more stories by me, please visit my body of clips at:
The University of Chicago News Office
The Chicago Studies Blog that Works

The Maroon
The San Diego Union-Tribune

No comments:

Post a Comment